Thursday, April 3, 2008

So I come to you for advise....

This is probably totally stupid to most of you but, I love to be on a schedule, and so does Jack. So our day goes as follows... we wake up around 7:00 and from there we eat and play then we go on a walk with Scout at 9:00. When we get in I give Jack a bath, then he takes his morning nap at 10:00. Jack sleeps for 1 1/2-2 hours. He is really use to this and he likes it this way. So here is my problem. There is this swim lesson I want to take Jack to, but it starts at 10:00 and goes for 2 weeks so... If I take him before his nap he will be crabby the whole time, but if I nap him before he won't be tired. See my point. So you experienced mothers I need some help.

One other think Shawn's family goes to Lake Powell every year on a house boat. I have been so worried to bring Jack. The water is so gross and I know I will be worried about him falling in the whole time. You guys are all thinking I'm some insane weird mother now. But my family was not raised going to Lake Powell and so it makes me really nervous. I swear everyone I talk to is like oh you have to go it won't be a big deal just watch him, ( in the same sentence) my sister fell in when she was little and almost drowned but you'll be fine, just watch him. Oh that makes me feel really good! So help me. I know Jack can't live in this sheltered world his whole life, on a perfect time schedule, but I'm just trying to make life simple. Well.....

7 comments:

Kylee said...

Haha...I love you Hayley! :)

My suggestion would be to start doing things 15 minuets earlier (or later) each day until you shift your schedule. It worked with Auri-I got her to go to sleep around 7pm instead of like 8:30 using this tactic. It takes a while though.

Lake Powell scares me too. I have a story I wont tell you---no one drowned, just scary. I think that you will be fine though, especially if his whole family goes then there will be a lot of eyes watching that sweet little Jack!

p.s. I think the next time I'm coming down will probably be in May for my sisters graduation. I'll pencil you in for sure!

Molly said...

Ok so im not an experienced mother, but my advice was going to be about the same as the last. If you can some how get Jack to wake up an hour later (going to bet later...) then he wouldnt want his nap until 11:00. Im not sure how long the swimming lessons last, but im betting no more than an hour. Hope this helps. Oh and I would love to take Alice and go with you. I didnt know they started them this young. So hit me up on the details.

Johns family also goes to lake powell every year. It is so much fun and I love to go but i am worried also. This swimming lesson would help LITTLE bit. Oh and they have life jackets for infants at costco right now. Call me we should talk.

♥Shally said...

I was going to say the same thing as the first comment. Start altering his schedule slowly. Start putting him down at 10:30 for a while and see how he does.

And I LOVE Lake Powell-- but it is scary anytime you are with kids around so much water. Just keep him close. Let him know it is not okay to get in without a grown up or a life jacket.

Have fun!!

Errin said...

you already know my advice, but you could always put lake powell off until next year. If they go every year then its not a big deal to just wait until Jack can swim better. And If you want Jack to go to nap at a later time just start putting him down at the time you want, it will be hard at first, he will be fussy and whiny but he will get used to it within a week! But Kylee's advice was great! Ive never tried it but It sounds like it would work real good! good luck!

Avree said...

Hayley, you sound like such a cute little mom, Jack is so lucky! I have no idea about naps and such (I guess I'll have to learn soon!). I agree with Errin, if you don't feel like he's ready then go next year, especially if you don't think it will be much fun for you because you'll be worrying about him the whole time. If you do end up going (now this may sound psycho) I would keep a leash on him, I've just heard so many stories about kids on houseboats and their moms thought somebody else in a big family was watching them and they fell in. Good luck!

Casey and Whitney MCkell said...

Hay I am not the best schedule person in the whole world so I would say just do it ans have fun however if I said that to your sister I think she would hit me so. If it is the mommy and baby class I did it with holden and I didny love it. IT WASNT ALL THAT THEY SAID IT WAS. However I was raised to go to Lake Powell we took Holden as a preemie and 2 months old He loved it! Last year we went was a little harder cause he was walking always always have him inyour sight. Shut the door when he is napping AND WHEN EVER POSSIBLE PUT HIS LIFE JACKET ON! Practice now Holden loves it at Jacks age!! Now he hates it. But go have fun take cute pics of your sweet little family.Ok I know I am prob no help but I try!!

Shums said...

oh man! i have the same problem with landon, every sunday during relief society he is squirming and whining because it is his nap time. we've tried having him nap right after breakfast, and although it takes longer for him to fall asleep, he's way better during church after napping!