Friday, April 11, 2008

What is Happiness

We all want different things, need different things, and get different things. I seem to waste a lot of time looking at other peoples blogs, and I catch myself thinking, I wish I had that, or I wish I looked like that, I wish we were at that stage in life, or I wish I would have got that degree or I wish I could go on those cool trips or live in those cool places. In some ways it inspires me to be better.

Last week Shawn and I were looking at friends blogs and we came across one of his old girlfriends blogs. I have always been a tiny bit jealous of this girl, she is just so....... perfect. We looked at it for a minute. Then slowly this horrible amount of jealousy came over me. I didn't want Shawn to see it because I felt like I didn't compare to her. I've though about that girl a few time in the past week and I had this erg to get back on her blog and prove to myself that she wasn't that perfect. So today I got back on and I started to search. I was hoping to find some horribly ugly picture of her or something on there that would make me feel better about myself. But just my luck she didn't have one bad picture, not even the picture of her just after she gave birth looked bad. But I slowly started to realize what an amazingly happy person she was. And instead of me feeling better because I found some dirt on her, I started to feel better because she inspired me. Her gorgeously white smile was because she was happy. She doesn't worry what others think, she doesn't bring others down to lift herself up. She has a spirit about her that I hope I can also have. So thanks "Shawn's Old Girlfriend" for the inspiration to be a better person.

Hey kind of on a different subject but also to do with happiness I think you should all read this talk given by Elder M. Russell Ballard. Click (even if you just heard it) It helped me to see how important my life on this earth is. It also helped me realize how valuable each precious moments is with the ones I love. ( I love you guys, you know who you are)


Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said: “The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”(Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11).

12 comments:

JT, Carly, Boston, Jocelyn and Snuggles said...

Hay,

If it makes any difference, I think you are perfect. I look at you with admiration all the time. I think you are so many things that I will never be. I have often done things like you did. Looking at past girls that I was jealous of and trying to find their flaws, but it never does any good. You really do just have to look within your own little life and find happiness. I'm not there yet, but you have to stop comparing because there will always be someone "richer" prettier" "smarter". I think Mom and Dad have set a great example of this. They are happy in their modest home with modest cars and clothes and they don't care what their neighbors have. I think this is one of the greatest challenges of our time, but in the end just know that you have a big sister (and many other people) who love and look up to you a lot. You are amazing and beautiful. I will forever be grateful to have a sister I can rely on and chit chat with everyday. Our lives our wonderful especially because of the people who are in them. I guarantee you Shawn thinks you are 10 times better than the old girlfriend not because statistically you are but simply because you are you.

Love ya,
Car

Molly said...

Ditto! I just came to basically the same realization. Why can't I just be happy & inspired when someone has/does/is something good? That's something I've always struggled with. I'm trying to just go through life at my own pace & not try to measure up with everyone else. It's hard, especially these days with blogs!

Errin said...

Hayley Im sure you inspre poeple more than you know! ;)

kate said...

Hi Haylee..
I'm not sure if remember me, ( We met a Robyn's shower.. ) sorry to blogstalk you.. But I just had to say "Amen" to your post. I know exactly how you feel.. It does get a little frustrating to read about others lives and try not to compare. What a great realization that you've had. I need to be more like that.. Thanks..
Anywho.. sorry for my little tidbit.. :)
Your little boy is darling by the way!

Cara said...

Hi Hayley I'm SUCH a stalker too, sorry! I totally couldn't resist peaking at your blog when it's linked right to Avree's. It's about time I comment so I don't feel like such a stalker! Your postings are so refreshing to read because of your honesty. This was a great one (I believe I know who you're referring to and I've felt the same way many times). You sound like a wonderful mom and your little boy is adorable! ~Cara (Avree's sister)

♥Shally said...

Great post Hayley... you are wise beyond your years!

And Elder Ballard's talk was amazing. What a great Conference.

Tyler Torres said...

I didn't know Cass and Shawn ever dated?! Hope things are going well for you guys.

CassideeT said...

My husband is such a nerd, I'm sorry! I have to say I am so impressed with the way you turned the situation around and found so much good in it. That is a truly admirable trait to have and Shawn is way lucky to have you (I'm sure he knows it, too)! Thanks for the sweet and honest post. And I too loved Elder Ballard's talk!

Jenna Marie said...

Hi Hayley. I- like others- sometimes stalk your blog. This is Jenna (Heinrich) Corry- I went to high school with you. Not sure if you remember me or not... Anyway- I just wanted to say that I loved this blog... and I feel kind of silly telling you this- but I used to feel the same way about you- haha. One of my boyfriends in high school went on a date with you once while we were dating and I couldn't tell you how upset I was because I thought you were so perfect! Then- I just realized you were happy... And I needed to be like that too. Might sound kind of weird... but I guess you never know who's noticing things like that about you- you just need to notice them in yourself. Thanks for the uplifting blog. I need to be better about wanting something from somebody else's life as well.

Jenna Marie said...

haha... Thanks for leaving a comment as well... It made me feel happy. and It wasn't that you made me feel bad really... just worried- haha. Oh- and I wanted to tell you too that I love all the pictures of your home! You decorate so cute and your husband is crazy talented! Thanks for stopping by... I'm going to add you to my my side list. :)

tiffany and darren said...

Love the post!! I think of lot of people do this same thing, but can't admit it. We always tend to want what everyone else has. Thanks for the ispiring post.
By the way, we will be in St. George over the weekend of the twenty sixth for Darren's sister's wedding. Hopefully we will see you then!

Scott, Brooke, & Mason said...

You are so cute. I am exactly the same way! And lots of times when I look at everyone's blog and see how all of Scott's friends married these tiny super cute and amazing girls I feel so...dumpy. So thanks for the post! I have been thinking the same thing but it is easier to say that do I guess. I feel better just knowing I'm not the only one! But I do know that I have tons to be happy about so I should probably stop worrying and be happy!