Thursday, April 2, 2009

Generations of Green Thumbs


One of my favorite childhood memories with my grandparents was spending time in their gardens. I remember as a child picking peas and rhubarb from grandpa Olsen's garden, and I loved searching and eating raspberries out of Grandma Cash's garden. My mom also grew a garden when we were growing up. There is nothing like a sun warmed tomato out of the garden with a little salt and pepper. YUM! I also remember having carrots, huge sunflowers and a ton of pumpkins. So to keep up the green thumb, we decided to grow a garden this year. It won't compare to any of the ones I remember growing up with, but it is branching out for us. Shawn of course built this great planter box, darling don't you think? We will see what happens. We planted tomatoes, green bell peppers, Cerrano peppers (sp), lettuce, onions, cilantro, basil, and strawberries. Jack is very intorested in the dirt in the planter. I know I am going to turn around and he will have pulled out the plants, yikes. He is such a boy, loves to be in the dirt.
We also have planted a few flowers, I love the spring time, it is so beautiful!

6 comments:

Jessica Reeves said...

How fun! I love the planter boxes! Shawn is so talented! We tried tomatoes once here but we failed and I haven't tried since. If you get some good stuff we're coming over to try it!

JT, Carly, Boston, Jocelyn and Snuggles said...

You suck!!! I mean it..I LOVE LOVE LOVE the planter boxes and the garden all planted in neat rows..so pretty!! You are inspiring me to nag my husband to get some building skills, and inspiring me to get a green thumb!

Sharps said...

GIRL...If you get any thinnner you are going to blow away!!! You are so stinking cute! I love planting flowers. I haven't quite dared to plant food....:- Maybe one day!

The Lamberts said...

I would love to have a garden, it looks great!

JR and Brynn said...

Those planters are amazing. Shawn is so dang talented. Holy moly. That is so much fun.

j&rbastian said...

I love your planter boxes they look so good. We love garden food too! Do you remember our first planter box that we had to move over in Hidden Valley! Well it looks like you guys are doing good. We need to get together and play some tennis.