Thursday, August 18, 2011

Another One Down, But Who's Counting?

I can't believe another week has passed. I can honestly say it went by really fast. We are happy to say we have hit very few bumps in the road this week either. Luke is now in clothing and in an open crib. Which makes it really nice and easy to hold him! He is so cute and cuddly. He is really close to 4lbs. And is eating just over an oz. every 3 hours. His one set back this week was he was put back on low flow oxygen. Which has help a lot with his saturation levels, it is a bummer to go back, but I am grateful that he is getting what he needs and glad the Dr.s are playing it safe.

As for Sam he is holding his own. He now weighs close to 2lbs2oz. Growing ever day. He is still in an isolate bed. They have stopped humidity in the bed though and he is working on keeping his temperature up so he can too be moved to an open crib. But I think we have some time before we get there. He has had a bit of reflux in the past few days. If he lays on his left side or on his tummy he does much better. He is now eating just over an 1/2 oz. every 3 hours. They have made the feeding last an hour compared to a half an hour to also help with the reflux.

Another new thing both boys are working on is non-nutritional breast feeding. It is just introducing breast feeding to them with out actually feeding them. They both did really well the first two days but have not been overly interested the past few days. It has opened my eyes to see how long it might take to get them nursing. But I am sure it will come. For now I'll just keep pumping and pumping and pumping.

I had a good Twin moment this week. I was holding Luke and he pooped in his diaper so I got up to change him. The nurse asked me if he got any on his clothes and I said,"no." Just as I was switching to a new diaper he pooped again and this time yes it got on his clothes and his blankets and on me. Yikes! Then just as I was done there I turned over to check on Sam and he had puked. Oh boy it is only a glimpses of life with twins.

I feel so blessed to have these twin boys. They make me so happy. It has been hard to leave Jack so much but he has been very patient and understanding. I look at these tiny little boys and wonder what will they become. I feel like they had all odds against them but they have made it out on top. They are slowly showing a bit of personality. I am so grateful we get to hold them and love them it is great bonding time for all of us. It is hard every time I leave them in that sterile room, but I am grateful for the NICU. It is an amazing facility, everyone in there is great. I always feel like my boys are being taken care of.  

7 comments:

CassideeT said...

I'm so glad they're doing so well. They are both beautiful little boys! You have such an amazing attitude. You are a rock!

linzi said...

Hayley,
First of all, congratulations on welcoming your two new boys to your family! What an experience you've had! I'm sure it has been overwhelming, but your strength shines above all. I am so happy they are doing so well! They are complete sweetness, and how blessed they are to come to your arms. That picture of you holding them both is perfect and beautiful. Even I could feel of the strong love between you, just by looking at a picture! Thank you for sharing.

I wish you strength and continued progress! Please know you are in my prayers!

Mendy said...

Oh man they are adorable and so so blessed to have you and Shawn as parents you to are really amazing people and you truly are blessed. I am so happy for you guys and wish I could do more for you. Please let me know if there is anything I can do..I don't like to bother you to much cause I no how busy you are....I can't wait to meet these little cuties though!!!

5littlemunkys said...

very happy to see they are doing well! i have always thought you two are great parents, i look up to you.

Errin said...

awe, im so glad they are doing well.. they look so precious!

JT, Carly, Boston, Jocelyn and Snuggles said...

You are all amazing. I love and admire your attitude with all of this. We love you all and hope to see you soon.

Sarah Jane said...

Hayley! It was so good to run into you at Target the other day! Your boys looks so darling and I am so glad to hear they are doing so well! You also look amazing! I would LOVE to come see you and your cute boys this week in the NICU if it's still okay for me to come. I don't have a car during the day, but I do in the evenings. Are you ever there in the evenings? I hope you have another great week with Sam and Luke!
-Sarah