Saturday, August 6, 2011

One Week Ago

A flood of emotions come to me when I think back to one week ago. Instantly my life was changed forever. I was scared, excited and left with a loss of emotion. Many times throughout the twins pregnancy I had felt that way. Something inside me turns off when I am faced with an emotional issue. Often times people would ask me "how are you doing?", "are you really okay?" And truthfully most of the time I was. I would break down to Shawn at night sometimes but most the time I had a lack of emotion. I knew The Lord was there for me. I prayed a lot. I also know that a lot of prayers were said in our behalf. Thanks.

I was admitted into the hospital on Tuesday the 26th. Because Twin A (that is what he went by at that point. Also another way to unattach me emotionally from the situation) had gained 800 grams in the past 3 weeks. Where Twin B had only gained 60 grams. Of course throwing up a red flag. Dr.s watched closely and monitored heart rates daily. But something inside me just wanted to be done. Not for myself but in fear that if we waited much longer our outcome might not be.... But we kept plugging along trying to find a firm reason for them to be out not in. Friday afternoon I went in for an ultrasound to check the cord doppler. Long story short the blood flow to Baby B was not good. That was the signal we had been waiting for. The next question to arise was vaginal delivery or c-section. We had talked a lot to my Dr. about it but never had a firm answer. Looking at the positive and negatives we chose c-section. They wanted to wait until 6:30 so my lunch would digest. But after putting the babies on the heart monitors they quickly deiced this needs to happen now. Again at that point I was numb to any emotions. At least from the outside I was. Inside I kept thinking what if.... There were so many unknowns and scary maybes that I wasn't sure if I could handle. The operating room was scary and that was when at least some emotions came through. I was alone and afraid of the pain, but most of all I just wanted to skip the next hour and know the end result.

They prepped me, everything went really fast and looking back it was really foggy and cold! I remember the room was freezing. I wanted Shawn there so bad. Finally they let him in and fate was knocking at our door. Tears rolled down my eyes and for the first time in this pregnancy I let my emotions come through. When I heard the first cry, Baby A, I felt a bit of relief especially once they held him up for me to see him. But I knew the scary part was coming next. To my surprise Baby B also cried, not a loud cry but there was noise. But they didn't show him to me. Which scared me. Shawn ran out with the babies and there I laid afraid of what was next.

Luckily a really nice guy sensed my fear and went out and came back and said all is well with Baby B also. It was over, well... kind of. The next few hours were blurry. Luckily Shawn took lot of pictures. Shawn kept me updated. What a relief it was to hear they were breathing room air and not on a ventilator. He kept telling me everything is fine, they are doing great.  I tried in the middle of the night to go and see them but I was to weak and sick to my stomach. A think around 6 I had the strength to get down to the NICU. I have to admit I had very little emotion the first time I saw Luke and Sam. It was like I was looking at someone elses babies. Not really being able to hold them and nurse them or have any form of bonding is hard. And also to have a nurse hovering over you, it is just a weird experience. (I don't feel that way now though, they are mine and I can't get enough of them.)

The past week has been challenging with recovery. But these babies are amazing. I am sure there will be bumps in the road. But so far our prayers have been answered. They have there Cpaps off. Which makes them so much more comfortable and cuter. They are on high flow and close to being moved to low flow.  They have the umbilical lines out now, they are only being fed through a tube from their mouths to their tummies.  Nearly all of their nutrition is mothers milk (which in now my milk, there is a lot of pumping going on at this house. Jack thinks it is sweet that his Mom knows how to make babies and milk :)) Speaking of Jack, he was able to come and see his little brothers for the first time on Sunday. He was very sweet and loved holding Sam's hand. He was also was so interested in which baby was A and B and loves that there is a small one and a big one!They have lost weight for most of the week but on Thursday Luke was up 65 grams and Sam 55 grams. Which is amazing. My favorite part is that we get to hold them. I love that it is the one thing that pulls us apart from the nurses. I feel like it is the best bonding thing we can do right now. We hold them skin to skin, bare chest to bare chest. On Thursday I was able to hold them together. I think all three of us loved it.



















The care that Luke and Sam get is amazing. Every nurse has been outstanding. I love to watch them take care of my babies they are all great and loving. They are also great at helping us heal and feel at peace. The Dr.s are so confident in everything they do. Everyone makes us feel special and loved there. Everyday at "rounds" (where they tell us the updates on both babies in the past 24 hours) they all praise the boys. They think that Sam is a "champ" for his size he is making improvements in leaps and bounds. It has been a hard, yet an amazing experience. I wouldn't change it for anything. I feel the love of my Heavenly Father everyday. I know that these two boy were supposed to come to our family. I know they will be strong, brave little boys who will teach me more than I will ever be able to teach them. They make me realize the importance of being a mother. I feel overwhelmed sometimes at the role I have been given. My boys mean everything to me. Last thing is I have to give a lot of credit to Shawn for being an amazing Dad and husband. He has kept us all moving forward. He has been my anchor this past week and the love he has for all three boys is amazing. I am aware that the road ahead is long but I look forward to it.

22 comments:

David and Jessica said...

Hayley,

I've been thinking a ton about you guys since I saw the first pics of the babies on FB this past week. You are such a strong and brave woman. Your family is beautiful and I pray that you guys will feel continued peace through out this whole journey. You have incredible strength and look BEAUTIFUL by the way :) Congrats on the TWO additions to the family!!

Unknown said...

ah- this brings back so many memories and emotions!!! Ugh do you feel like you are on a never ending roller coaster?? It's so amazing how positive you guys are - and really thats going to make this entire adventure easier! C-sections are SO scary huh- and my husband left right when the babies were born as well and you do feel so very alone!!! Im SO glad they are both doing so well- hang in there and please let us know if you need anything

Em said...

This may seem super creepy but I found your blog from my sister in law Taishas and had to read about your story. I am crying so hard right now remembering all those things you are going through. They are tough little men and you are being so strong too. It is hard to see your baby with tubes and wires hooked up to them but all the sudden they say ok you can take them home now and then you get scared and want them to stay there with wires hooked up to them. ha. I know you don't know me really but if you need anything let me know. I found that if I wrote everything down in a journal their weight how much they ate who took care of him the ups and downs it seemed to help me get through the days easier. Plus now I love to look back at it and see how far he has come. You guys are in our prayers!! Hang in there!!
ps sorry that was so long. :)

Molly said...

We have been thinking of and praying for you guys all week. I am so glad that they are here and doing good! We are so happy for you guys! Love the picture of Shawn and you holding both boys. So precious! Congratulations!! We will be coming for a visit in Oct. Can't wait to meet them!

Tiffany Webster said...

Hayley... all I can say is your amazing. You guys have been in our prayers. What an incredible journey you will have with these boys, and how lucky they are to have you. You have always had so much strength and I know the Lord will provide a way to continue to push through these hard times. I love ya babe! We will keep praying!!!

Clint, Brielle, Molly and Maggie said...

Hayley, what an amazing little chapter in your lives that started, I can only imagine how hard everything is and I am amazed in your strength. They are so darn cute and sweet. Congrats, if you need help with jack he can always come play...I have Sadie on Fridays if he wants to come along and play for a few hours.....hang in there...you look absolutey beautiful by the way!!!

According to Ana said...

So sweet. Their little pictures made me cry.

I am so happy all is well, if you need anything let me know
(but really ok?)

Tawny said...

Wow crazy.
You are a superwoman!!
And those boys are gorgeous, all that dark hair:)
Congratulations to your "little" family.
Please send Jack over any time.
And lots of love to those sweet boys!

Can I bring Dinner over Tuesday? My Menu has lots of extra.

Casey said...

I saw your blog page attached to Kirie's blog..Oh my..the pictures bring back so many memories that are close to my heart. I'm actually crying right now with you and for you. I'm truely sorry that you guys have to go through this. The NICU here is amazing. I love the all the docs and nurses, they definately know what they are doing and care about families they treat. It truely is a family experience with ups and downs. The bonds you form will last a lifetime. If you need anything let us know. You're in our prayers.

Sarah Jane said...

Hayley, I have been following your story with your babies through Melissa and Elijah Fielding. I went to high school with you, but never really knew you....just who you were. I have been touched by your experience. My husband and I are expecting triplet boys in December, although my doctor has informed me that we will be having them within the first two weeks of November. I will also be delivering at the hospital here in St. George. What a relief to hear you say how much you have liked the nurses and the NICU team!!! I am amazed by your strength and the strength of your little ones!!! What sweet little boys! Heavenly Father has truly blessed you and these boys. I hope that our little guys can be as strong as yours!!!! We will keep you in our prayers. You are amazing! -Sarah Jennings (Hunter)

Lindsey Sharp said...

Hayley reading this post brought back so many memories and emotions! What a crazy experience it is but oh so wonderful! Sometimes i get sad thinking that even if i get pregnant again it will never be with three again. Multiples are such a blessing and you will love every second of it! They ar such cute boys! Congrats! Nhope your recovery is quick!

jennie said...

When I saw the first pictures on FB I couldn't believe it. I just thought..."wait, i thought she wasn't due til October!!!" Oh my goodness, how tiny they are. I am so glad they are doing ok. What an ordeal for you to go through! It must've been so scary, but I am glad things are moving forward and hope the best for your sweet little family! So amazing! And you look awesome BTW! Darling pictures :)

Errin said...

Ohh! they are just so precious! and so so tiny! if you guys need anything let me know! i would be happy to take Jack if you need a sitter or anything. :) love you guys!

Avree said...

Wow, what an amazing story. I'm sorry you've had to go through all this but so happy that your boys are doing so well. I'll keep them (and you!) in my prayers!

Amber said...

Hayley,
Our prayers are with you guys and your beautiful baby boys. I just found your blog and I am so happy I did. You are so incredible and I am so happy these babies are ok and you are ok. Thank you for the strength you and Shawn are! Those pictures are so precious.

Sarah Jane said...

Hayley, thank you so much for your response to my post. I would LOVE to keep in touch with you, as I am sure I will have some questions that you might be able to answer, if you are up to it. Do you have an e-mail address that would make it a bit easier to contact you? My e-mail address is zinniaway84@gmail.com. You truly are an inspiration, as being pregnant with multiples is not the easiest thing:) Is there an estimate on when you will be able to take you boys home? I hope you are able to get some rest to speed up your recovery!!

5littlemunkys said...

so happy your little ones are safe i love that pic of you with them together! we definetly have you in our prayers right now and i think its really cute the boys dont know you well and pray for hayley and the babies:) love you guys! kiersten

Sandy said...

They are so sweet and tiny! I'm glad they are both doing good..I've been thinking about you guys! Hang in there and let me know if you need anything :)

Bec said...

I am so happy you get to hold your boys! I didn't get to hold Ethan for the first few days and it was the most difficult thing ever! Your babies are beautiful! We miss your family like crazy!

Robyn said...

So happy your two sweet miracles are doing so well! Thanks for sharing all your thoughts on your experience. What an amazing thing. So glad for the blessing of great medical care. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers! Congratulations. They are amazing and so adorable!

JR and Brynn said...

Wow, Hayley, what a beautiful update. Thank you so much for letting us all in on this intimate and emotional experience. We are all just praying for you and thinking of those two sweet tiny ones everyday. They are looking so good! Yay! I am so glad they seem to be doing so well. Keep us updated. Love you guys!

davenportreport said...

Cried through the whole post. The whole thing. They are amazing little souls, that is for sure. And I'm sure it helps to have a ton of people praying for you all.

Hang in there - I can't imagine all that pumping you must be doing!

I hope we get to see them one of these days! They are absolutely beautiful. Love you, Molly