Monday, October 4, 2010

St. George Marathon 2010

My five months of training paid off. I had a great run and finished the marathon in 4 hours and 6 min. I felt great and enjoyed most of it. The last 5 miles were long and I was glad when it all came to an end. I learned a lot from training for this marathon. I didn't think I would ever have the mental strength to complete such a task, but I learned that if you want something bad enough you can make your body do it. I learned to have self discipline. There were many mornings that my alarm would go off  at 4:00 and I wanted so badly to shut it off but I knew Sue would be there waiting, so I got up anyway.  I learned that if you turn up your music loud enough or get into a conversation long enough you can push though pain and boredom from running.  I learned what an awesome friend I have made through all of this, Sue never missed a run and pushed me when I needed it. I also learned what a supportive husband and son I have. Jack got use to me not being there when he woke up most mornings and Shawn didn't complain too much about putting up with a tired wife 24/7. I got teary eyed both times when I saw them on the marathon trail cheering for me. I loved their support, along with my parents, brother,Shawn's parents, sister-in-law, neighbors and friends, thanks for coming out to cheer me on.

7 comments:

JustLivingMYLife said...

wow you are much stronger than i am! haha i have never been a runner but i am sure the feeling of that accomplishment would be amazing. i need to find someone to push me into doing good things for my body lol im kind of a slacker in that area

Molly said...

You go girl! That is so awesome. And could you get any skinnier? We are going to be in town for a week or so...we will try and hook up with you guys. Congrats!!

JT, Carly, Boston, Jocelyn and Snuggles said...

I get teary eyed just thinking what you accomplished! You inspire me and I just think you are incredible!

JT, Carly, Boston, Jocelyn and Snuggles said...

I get teary eyed just thinking what you accomplished! You inspire me and I just think you are incredible!

Marcie said...

YOU DID SO AWESOME!!! COngrats on such a huge accomplishment!

Kwint and Gina Kemp Family said...

Way to go Hayley! That is such an accomplishment!

The Frei's said...

WAY TO GO!!! Seriously that is such an amazing accomplishment! You ran fast! I can't believe jack is in preschool. He is so cute!