Friday, July 16, 2010

Running Partners......

Hayley is up in Bryce right now running the Half Marathon, and it brought back some good memories. So I thought I would share the story of how Hayley got to this point.


6 years ago:  Hayley and I rode home from Provo together. She had just bought a pair of running shoes, and she was telling me that she was going to get "back into shape". Me, being fresh back from Germany, where I enjoyed amazing chocolate, bakeries, and gelato pretty much every day, thought it would be a good idea to lose about 40 pounds. So I told her that I would run with her. So we started running.

That Monday I was at her house at 5am, and we ran about a mile. We were just about back to Hay's house and she puked. This happened a couple more times, so I really did believe her that she was out of shape. One of those mornings she even got dillusional and tried to introduce me to her grandparents, which turned out not to be her grandparents..... long story, but funny, ask her about it. She finally did ger up to a couple miles, and we did that for a few months.

5 years ago: Our first real run was the Bryce Canyon 5k. It was also the first time our parents met. for about a year I always refered to myself as "the running partner", of course it was all part of my plan, but I was good with that for the time being. She was still a little young and immature.
2 years ago: I could never get her to go more than 3 miles. No matter how much we ran, she just had it in her head that she could only do 3 miles. Thanks to Rakel, and Sue, she finally got over her fear, and now 3 is the easy day. They have been running faithfully for 2 years now, 3 days a week, and are gearing up for the marathon. I, on the other hand am back at square one, looking for someone to run with that I can keep up with. Steve, you in?

Good job Hay and good luck tomorrow. Jack and I are so proud.
                                                                       -Your Running Partner

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

What a sweet story! Good luck tomorrow! Hope you make great memories!

Anonymous said...

That IS a sweet story! I wish I had the willpower to run again. I miss the adrenaline rush. Good luck in your running!

JT, Carly, Boston, Jocelyn and Snuggles said...

Very Inspirational Hayley. I am so proud of you. You are amazing. Thanks for watching Boston over night. Bestest Auntie ever!

Avree said...

Way to go Hayley! That is awesome! I don't know if you guys remember, but I was actually with you guys on one of those runs Hayley threw up on. I ran ahead with Jessica Ricks. Now I'm sure Hayley could run circles around me!

Unknown said...

I remember you (Sean) being in my college drafting class and saying Im starting to run with this girl, her name is Hayley!!! I knew it was MORE than running! You are adorable to her! And she's flippin awesome for getting over the 3 mile fear......