Thursday, November 11, 2010

In Loving Memory of Grandma Munk



Shawn's Sweet Grandma passed away on Tuesday night. She had suffered for the past few years from Alzheimer's disease and it was a blessing to see her not struggle anymore.

We were so grateful that we spent some time up on the farm last month and got to be with her. She was the kind of Grandma that spent most of her time cooking up something good in the kitchen. She was tough and a hard worker. She made everyone around her feel special and loved. They live in Logan, UT and often times they would travel all the way down to St. George to cheer on Shawn in a baseball game. Shawn always knew Grandma was in the stands when he heard "Give him the dark one." (classic) Her house was always clean and organized. She grew a wonderful vegetable and flower garden. Shawn insisted, when we got married, that I learned how to make milk toast just like Grandma Munk. I have the recipe but it never tastes as good as it ever does when she makes it. She had a wonderful marriage. She took care of Grandpa everyday they were together, until this past year when Grandpa has had to return the favor. When we were up there the last time I was so impressed with the love they had for one another. The song long line of love, by Micheal Marten Murphy kept coming to mind.

Bought a beautiful diamond ring,
Offered it to the sweetest thing I know
And she said she would take it
Started makin? some wedding plans
She looked at me and she took my hand and said
Are you sure we can make it
I said my granddad's still in love with my grandma
I said my Dad still thinks my Mom's the
Sweetest thing he ever saw

I come from a long line of love
When the times get hard, we don't give up
Forever's in my heart and in my blood
You see I come from a long line of love

Years went by and we had a son
Now he thinks that he's found someone for him
And they're planning a wedding
He called me up on the phone today
Just to see what I had to say to him
Did I think he was ready?
I said what his grandfather used to say to me
It's been handed down for ages, it runs in the family....

Grandma you will be sorely missed down here on earth, but we know you will continue to brighten lives on the other side. Until we meet again, we love you Grandma.

1 comment:

JT, Carly, Boston, Jocelyn and Snuggles said...

So sweet Hayley and so true. I'm glad we have so many good examples in our family and in the families we married in to. I think of JT's grandma and grandpa Young so still in love to the very end.